Images related to this event:
- Opening of the Euro Exhibition and Issuance of the new €20
- The new €20 and its security features
Find here some useful questions about the new €20 banknote.
1. When is the new banknote out and where can I find it?
The new €20 banknote started circulating on 25 November 2015 and will gradually become available from ATMs, banks and shops.
2. Why a new €20 banknote?
The new note and the others in the Europa series are being issued to make the currency more resistant to counterfeiting by incorporating improved security features. The new €20 banknote, for instance, contains a portrait window. When you look at it against the light, the transparent window near the top of the hologram reveals a portrait of Europa, visible on both sides of the banknote.
3. How many new €20 banknotes have been printed?
Over 4.3 billion.
4. Can I still use the old €20 banknote?
Yes. You can use the old €20 banknote alongside the new one. The old banknotes will gradually disappear but will not lose their value; you will be able to exchange them for an unlimited period of time at your national central bank.
5. How can I tell if my new €20 banknote is genuine?
You can check it by using the FEEL, LOOK and TILT method. No tools are necessary. Find out more here.